Important instructions of how to burn candles correctly for a smoke free clean long lasting burn
- Keep the wick about 5 mm in length or just over for all candles as this will stop the candle from smoking.
- Always trim the wicks before lighting candles that have been used if you don’t the candle will smoke.
When you first light, your candle let it burn for a few minutes and check to see if the flame is tall and flickering. If it is trim the wick a little bit, you may have to do this a couple of times an hour especially the 4-inch-wide candles.
- If you trim the wick to much the flame might be small and go out, so if that happens just tilt the candle and light it and let the wax drip until enough of the wick is exposed.
- If you have a 3-inch-wide candle you must burn it for at least 3 hours at a time
- 4-inch-wide candles must burn for at least 5 to 6 hours as the candle is wide for a single wick. This will mean that the melt pool of wax will burn towards the edge of the candle.
- The first couple of burnings it won’t reach the edges but as you use it more it will get there. If you only burn it for an hour it will not reach towards the edge and will tunnel down in the centre of the candle and not burn correctly.
- As wax cools, it shrinks so can pull the wick out of the centre when the candle was made. If the melt pool of wax it is burning more to one side push the wick a little bit towards the centre.
- As the candle burns occasionally you will need to carefully press the edges at the top of the candle towards the centre of the candle to make sure that all of the wax burns properly. This will stop the candle tunnelling down and give you an even burn, do this after the candle has been put out.
If burning in a lantern or glass container you need to trim the wick more often as it will get hot in an enclosed space and the candle will melt and drip if you do not.
- If you light any candle and do not trim the wick the flame will get bigger and hotter and make the candle burn much faster and will produce smoke and drip everywhere.
- Burn the candles in a draught free position, away from windows, doors, fans ETC otherwise a draught can make a candle smoke and burn unevenly.
If you need any further information or have any questions please email or phone as we are happy to help.